Raja Ampat-Cenderawasih Bay
Raja Ampat & Cenderawasih Bay will immerse you in a diving paradise: great visibility, pristine waters, healthy colourful reefs, an amazing array of marine life and the chance to dive and snorkel with wondrous Whale Sharks. While there are no guarantees, these trips are held during the best time of year where you can see many Whale Sharks while diving in shallow waters. This is one diving adventure simply too good to miss out on.
(schedules are subjected to changes according to weather and sea condition)
Day 1. (0-1 dives) by 5pm; arrival from Jakarta, Ujung Pandang, or Manado to Sorong. Our staff will meet you at Sorong Airport and take you to the awaiting Raja Manta. Depending on arrival time we can do check dive.
Day 2- 3. (4 dives x2 days) Raja Ampat islands; Fam, Kri, & Wai.
Day 4. (3 dives) Raja Ampat then sail to North mainland Papua
Day 5. (2-3 dives) The Junkyard; WW II wrecks now stunning reefs. Sail overnight to Manokwari
Day 6. (4 dives) Manokwari to Cenderawasih Bay
Day 7-9. (4 dives x3 days) Cenderawasih Bay
Day 10. (2 dives) Cenderawasih Bay, then sail back to Nabire
Day 11.(0 dives) 6am-12pm; check out after breakfast, farewells, and transfer to Nabire Airport. Plenty of time to wash & dry equipment, have lunch, and rest & relaxation.
NOTE: Sightings of Whale Sharks is very common but we do not GUARANTEE!
Diving days: 9 days (30 dives)
Embarkation / Disembarkation
- Sorong (SOQ), West Papua / Nabire (NBX), West Papua
How to get to Sorong (SOQ), West Papua
- It is easiest to fly through to Sorong (SOQ) via Jakarta (CGK), Makassar (UPG Ujung Pandang), Bali (DPS, Denpasar), or Manado (MDC).
- Please refer to our Black Manta Trip Schedule before booking your Domestic flights.
- International Airlines; Silk Air operates regularly from Singapore to Manado. Garuda Indonesia fly daily from Singapore to Makassar, then Domestic flight to Sorong, then via Jakarta on way back (same day).
How to get from Nabire (NBX), West Papua
- Lion Air daily flights to Jakarta via Ambon (including Wings Air & Batik Air part of the Lion Air group).
- Garuda Indonesia fly daily to Jakarta via Timika (refueling in Bali)
Dive Site Information
- Water Temp: 27-30 degrees Celsius
- Air Temp; 27-32 degrees Celsius
- Visibility: 10-30 meters,
- Currents; mild to strong,
- Level: Intermediate to Advanced,
- Best Time to Dive: April-December (less rain & much less wind; perfect for diving)
- Round trip transfer local Hotel/Airport - Boat
- All nights' accommodation on Boat
- All meals (Western & Indonesian) snacks, hot beverages, coffee, tea, Milo,
- Towel, toiletries, cabin services,
- Warm towel & drink after every dive
- Regular Air Tanks, weights, belt, 5 dive guides (1x Instructor, 4x Dive Master)
- All flights & hotels stay
- Marine Park & Harbour fee
- Dive & travel insurance
- Massage services
- Soft drinks, alcohol, Nespresso coffee,
- Diving gear; BCD, regulator, wetsuit (only 3mm shorty wetsuits available), fins, mask, dive computer, torch, 15L tank rental. Note; Diving Gear Items priced per diving day and are subject to availability.
- Nitrox refills EANx32, subject to availability
Raja Ampat Trip Schedule
- Departure; 5pm, 1st Day - Sorong, West Papua. Or earlier if everyone arrives before and all Trip Preparations have been completed. Free transfer from local hotel or Domine Edward Osok Airport, Sorong to Raja Manta on Trip Departure day (transfer time 20-30 mins)
- Return; 6am, Last Day - Nabire, West Papua. After breakfast and fond farewells, we take you to Douw Aturure Airport, Nabire in time for Check-in & flight (transfer 20-30 minutes). Latest RM Check-out midday, Trip Return day.
- Last dive ends; 12pm (midday), Penultimate Day. Plenty of time for R&R while we sail back to Nabire where we spend last night on Raja Manta. This also allows for your minimum 18 hours surface interval/ No Fly Time (as recommended by PADI) before flying next day, unless you catch the early flight then may have to skip 1-2 final dives.
Raja Manta Reminders
- Please book BEFORE confirming your International flights to ensure you make your connection to Sorong & from Nabire.
- We advise you to stay a night in a local hotel in Jakarta/ Makassar/ Bali before the flight next day. Makassar Airport Hotel; Home In and Spa available between flights. Easy.
- Most Domestic airlines do not allow non-Indo credit card online payments. If you cannot book direct we have a local Indonesian travel agent, who are reliable and efficient and can help you with all flight & hotel needs. Their details on request. If booked with credit card please ensure the card is with you upon Check In or have an official Airline form filled in & signed by card holder authorizing the use of.
- Our ticketing agents are not responsible for any flight delay or cancellation, luggage lost or delay. In any case, please contact our ground staff in Bali for assistance for flight delay issue.
- Domestic Airlines normally have 20Kg allowance, although you may pay for 10Kg extra when booking, if needed (around US$3/kilo). With an additional 7kg carryon.
- Jakarta (CGK);if you are travelling via Jakarta someInternational & Domestic flights do not always arrive/depart from same terminal building. If yours is one here is a useful Transfer link or if too late get a taxi for 50,000IDRp between terminals (10 mins transfer time).
- Visa Exemption or Visa on Arrival (VoA); many countries now receive a free 30 days on arrival, some pay USD35 to obtain VoA, others will have to obtain Visa BEFORE Arrival.
- Passport; ensure your passport is in good order, has enough pages, is valid for at least 6 months, and that you are able to enter Indonesia. Check with your local Indonesia Embassy if unsure.
- Departure Tax; Indonesia Passenger Service Charge (IPSC) has changed (Mar-2015) to be included in your flight ticket price. Please check though as previously it was 200,000IDRp to leave Indonesia, & up to 75,000IDRp for Domestic flights. Carry small bills, Indonesia Rupiah preferred, as often no change given.
Health & Insurance
- Dive Insurance; compulsory for this trip. We also strongly advise you get adequate travel insurance. Please check your travel insurance policy for your diving needs. If not covered them we recommend DAN (Divers Alert Network) or their Asia Pacific branch.
- Dive Computer; compulsory on this trip. We have rentals onboard if you do not have.
- Follow Safe Diving Practices at ALL times plus No Deco Diving and No Solo Diving.
- Travel Insurance; please NOTE: we cannot be held accountable for airline flight changes, delays, or cancellations. We STRONGLY advise you take out adequate insurance to cover such eventualities. We recommend World Nomad for their flexible worldwide cover for travel insurance.
- Malaria Zone; NOTE that in this part of Indonesia we advise you take the proper precautions against malaria. The following anti-malaria drugs are considered safe with diving; Doxycycline or malarone. Mefloquine (Lariam) is NOT recommended with diving. Good preventative measures include DEET and long armed/legged clothing in evenings. If unsure consult a diving doctor.
- Internet; No Wi-Fi onboard at this time. You may sign up for local SIM card. Local Telkomsel is best local card to buy. Telkomsel simpati bsim card starts at only 3usd. Plus credit to add on top!!
- Mobile/ Internet signal; not long after you leave port we have has intermittent/ limited mobile signal until we return.
Trip Extras payment onboard
- Credit card; due to the very unreliable connections we are NO longer able to take ANY credit card payments on this trip.
- Please bring enough CASH to pay for any Trip Extras. We accept US Dollars, Euro, Singaporean dollars, Indonesian Rupiah. Please ensure ALL bills are in good order; NOT worn or torn and unmarked or we are UNABLE to accept. Exchange rates differ for USD100/50 bills and USD20/10 bills. Current Exchange rate. ATMs are available in town.
- Fuel Surcharge; NO fuel surcharge in place at this time but may be implemented to account for any wide fluctuations.
- Marine Park & Harbour fee; US$250 per person.
- Massage US$30/ hour,
- Nespresso coffee & soft drinks: US$2, beer US$4, wine US$30-50
- Nitrox Fill; US$6/ fill
Rates per item per diving day:
- BCD, Regulator US$12
- Dive Computer, Torch US$12
- Wetsuit US$8
- Fins, Mask US$5
- Large Tank US$12